My Traxxas TRX4 Chassis Kit arrived today finally, it’s been on a tour or just hiding who knows but at least it’s here now and we can begin the build.
Following the the included instruction manual which is mostly pictures and drawing but so far has been easy to follow.
2 Speed Transmission
The first thing on the build list is the 2 speed transmission. The assembly was pretty straight forward if you take your time & pay attention to the parts and the layout. My biggest issue was keeping the shims & pins in place during assembly. This was easily solved with a dab of grease in each. The kit includes grease for the tranny & diffs but I chose to use Lucas Red & Sticky which I what I use in all my trannys & diffs. I know nothing about the included Traxxas grease and decided not to use it. LRS works well for me and have never had a failure using it. The manual tells you how to adjust the slipper but that it really hard to do on a static transmission so it might need little adjustment once it’s under power.
The next thing on the build sheet was the differentials. These go together pretty easy, the only thing to watch out for is the pins that hold the spider gears have little notches in them that must be facing each other in order for the spider gears to set all the way down in the diff case. When finished I taped them together with masking take to keep the bearings and gears from falling off before they were set into the rearend housing.
The next thing on the list was the rearend assembly including the portals. The rear axle housing is one piece except for the diff cover. You start by dropping one of the difffs into the housing along with the shift fork and shift cable. The cable is held in place with a c-clip which can be a pain, but I have a tool for installing and removing them which made the job much easier. With the diff installed and the cover secured with 4 screws it’s time to start on the portals. These went together really easy nothing out of the ordinary. More Lucas Red & Sticky here too.
That took roughly 2.5 hours to complete. By this time my eyes and hands needed a rest. I did use my power screw driver to install the screws after starting by hand and I finished tightening them my hand. The next thing on the list is the frontend assembly which I plan on doing tomorrow.